Back to Top

Our History

Karl Ehmer Smoked Meats

 In 1932, Karl Ehmer started his first butcher shop on 46th Street and Second Avenue in New York City, NY. By the mid 1940’s, Karl Ehmer opened a manufacturing facility in Ridgewood, NY from where he served six retail locations.

By 1970, there were over 30 Karl Ehmer Quality Meat stores in existence. In July of that year, Meat Processing Magazine did a cover story based on the uniqueness of Karl Ehmer’s operation and products. When asked then how his chain of service markets does it, Mr. Ehmer was quoted as saying, “First, we produce a high-quality product. We make no attempt to be competitive in price with mass manufactured lines. Our products are made to recipes developed many years ago, which result in distinctive flavors that our customers have come to expect.” By the late 1970’s, there were over 50 Karl Ehmer Quality Meat stores in Florida, Pennsylvania, and upstate New York.
 
Now in its fourth generation, the Karl Ehmer Brand remains a prevalent brand for the discerning palate. Found in specialty and ethnic food stores across the country, and at our on-line store, in the famous words of Mr. Ehmer, the brand remains “Still the Best Butcher on the Block”!

Contact us